View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,875 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i too see the differance in the early and late models..i shot the remington 10 yesterday but did not get to pattern it...i shot a can at about 60 steps use ing little skeetersreducers from 10 to 12 ga..it really moved that old can i did not even walk out and see how many holes because i had already shot the can several times...the gun shoots good..the right barrel is marked with53 and the left is marked with 40..i know that remington marked the barrels as to how many shotit put in the target but this dont seem right does it..and pete measured the choke and the left barrel has more choke than the right but the numbers says differant.whats ya lls theory on this...charlie
Charlie as you know the last two digits of the pattern count is stamped on the barrel lug rather than the barrels. If you look at the attached picture of both my 1894 AE 10ga and my Mod. 1900 12ga you will see Remington was inconsistent in where serial numbers are stamped and which direction they can be read, same for the pellet count. I assume the lower number no matter how stamped is the right barrel. My 10ga is choked, .046 right and .045 left. Patterns were 92.5% to 93+ %. The last two digits of you gun would make it seem it patterned tighter than mine at the factory if that is possible as my stampings 26 and 45. Charles Semmers book says there are no surviving hang tags known for a Remington 1894 10ga or 16ga so they do not know the shot size and weight they were patterned with. 12 ga Remingtons used 1 1/4 ounce of 8 but Semmer said he thinks 10ga were patterned with a different load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7757.jpg (490.8 KB, 0 views)
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote