View Single Post
Unread 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post

Just to give you a reality check (and as everyone knows, "reality bites"), on a business trip to Sacramento CA years ago, after business concluded mid-morning on the last day, I spent the rest of the day in the State Game Commission Archives looking through hundreds of photographs and leafing through many more monthly Game Commission Reports. (Hedderly became a game commissioner in the late 19-teens/early 1920s and remained one throughout that decade).

Most all of his writings were concentrated on fishing regulations and trout stocking reports or habitat improvement, mostly for upland gamebirds (quail at the time). Writings on duck hunting were comparatively nonexistent, the 'golden age' of the southern CA clubs waning into oblivion.

I found not one photograph in their voluminous files that one could positively identify as Hedderly (and at 6ft. 6 inches, he is hard to miss!!). Most were telephoto-range shots of workmen and state game officers offloading trucks, standing on the running boards of open cars, or wielding nets along causeways.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I can see where an exhaustive afternoon at the California game commission archives that produced very little in usable photo research could be a reality check for you, hope it didn't "Bite" you too hard... As many who research various historical topics know, helpful information can often be slow coming, but occasionally a little diligence and luck can produce that needle in the haystack... Hang in there.

I have an original (mid-late 1920's) Trap related photo I've been researching that was found in Lakewood Ca, located in Los Angeles county. In the image are five gunners on the line at the ready. Closest in the foreground of this photo is a very tall man with a slim long barreled Parker towering above him. I remembered past discussions of Hedderly being described as quite tall, so I began a search for known images of EH for comparison. When viewing a close-up of the tall man in the later 1920's Trap photo next to the 1911 image of a younger EH holding his 28-bore and ducks, there are some convincing similarities, but still hard to say with the age differences in the two photos. Thought perhaps someone here might have encountered a good photo of an (older) Hedderly in their research travels over the years to compare with... The search continues.

CSL

"One can argue the true value of a photograph is measured by which story it communicates. Every carefully exposed frame not only freezes time, but captures a moment that has the power to redefine history..."

Costner ~ On Old Photos
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Lien For Your Post: