View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

So here's the nature of my question - what is a good choice that is over the counter and readily available? Something has to be a better choice.

I have had very good luck with modern steel loads and find them to be very effective within 45-50yds on waterfowl.

I use plenty of RST bismuth loads, Kent bismuth now that its available, tungsten occasionally and I really liked NICE shot when it was available. Classic doubles I havent had good luck with. That being said it was 2yrs ago that finding any sort of non-steel toxic shot was extraordinarily difficult with bismuth being rare and NICE shot being out of stock.

And when it comes to waterfowl - you can really burn through shells chasing a couple of cripples. Clearly shells are the cheaper part of any hunting endeavor but its still nice to know that there is something a little more readily available that one can more comfortably use.

First thing Im going to do is get a slip on recoil pad either a gamekeeper from CSMC or a limb-saver. Then Im finally going to make start diving into reloading. Anyone have a steel recipe they like for 12ga?

Thanks for all the replies!
Tom Roller is online now   Reply With Quote