View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #20
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don’t think reducing .002 or less in front of the rim makes any difference to the cases strength,but thinking and knowing sure are not the same.

I have to do the same when loading for a other single shot chambered in .25 Kraig, Modern brass does not need it old .30 US Government brass does. When I say about .oo2 what I really mean is cut and try until it fits. Very little metal comes off, as a frame of reference aluminum soda can is about .006 3 times the thickness I remove. Problem is you need the gun beside the lathe to make the fit. I would not recomend reducing the thickness in the cases hollow body.

Two guns same maker two chamber fits is very common. You don’t notice it in shotguns due to larger tolerance Rifles with tighter fits its obvious. Chamber reamers wear, different metals cut different, way the operator runs the tool etc.

If you can find a good lathe operator and have your hammer and Hammerless barrels to check as he goes it’s a easy job to fit those turned cases. To be clear fit the cases don’t mess with the barrel chambers. People often try to make rifle chambers match with poor results.

On sizing it’s possable to make new or modify factory sizers that go all the way down but sizing solid brass near the cartridge rim is almost impossible. They work on the hollow sections don't do much to solid. My short 10s size well in a Ponsess Warren die, modern cases folded head all the way to the rim,no solid sections

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote