View Single Post
POOR MAN'S MODEL 21-ALSO KNOWN AS THE CLUB
Unread 09-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Default POOR MAN'S MODEL 21-ALSO KNOWN AS THE CLUB

I had the top Winchester Model 24 for about thirty years plus and had never shot it at game. The bottom one I got from Jim D. a month or more ago when I was looking for just a forend and ended up buying a whole kit gun, one that was disassembled with rusty barrels and missing four screws and a buttplate. It took me a while to figure out how a 24 goes back together. Rust blued the rusty barrels after striking them, found parts at Numrich, and put finish on the stock.

All I can say is this gun would be good if attacked, to use as a club. Bulky and very heavy is a good description. The top one was 7/12 (replaced stock) and the bottom one (original) is 8/2. Actions are stiff and awkward feeling. So I took them both hunting today for doves. Not many birds (raining) but the new to me gun shot well. What is funny about these is the top one is 1939 and the bottom one is about 1954 (they stopped keeping serial number records in 49) and both are marked M/F under the barrels. But both are really IC/F, one being .008 right and the other .012 right. Perfect chokes for doves.

Hardly fits "Other Fine Doubles" but a piece of Winchester and American History made in America for the bottom of the market.

Who owns one of these? I imagine a 20 would be the best of the lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win. Model 24s.jpg (320.7 KB, 9 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: