View Single Post
Would love to hunt waterfowl in SK Province
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Would love to hunt waterfowl in SK Province

Jack- my mistake-- I forgot you are a Canadian citizen, and I can only guess the paperwork etc. for you to purchase a shotgun from MI- and to be fair, for me to purchase one from your neck of the woods.

I buy my doubles (12 mainly- side-by with two triggers- either ejectors or extractors- as an "accumulator" not a collector- to shoot, and strip, clean and maintain in proper shooting order. I'm NOT a great customer for Messers: Vicknair, Del Grego, Bickel et al--I am a tad fussy about stock fit, good mechanics (safety working, ejectors in time) and very fussy about good trigger pulls and balance. Barrel length and chokes- not so much of an issue, but avoid any "sawed off Doc Holliday specials"--

I almost gave up on a nice older early Syracuse to Fulton LC Smith 4E with chain Damascus barrels, trigger pulls were heavy, and I don't touch sears etc.- that's a job for an expert- but I can strip down and clean my Parkers and Elsies- and in doing that found the problem- heavy GUNK build up on the trigger blades- so a good soaking in Kroil & Acetone, then dry and fine grit finish sandpaper, also cleaned out the slots in the trigger plate- back together and problem solved- with the BP 2.5" paper 7/8 oz. loads- now I need to find some of those for the 16 PH I recently acquired- 26" twist barrels-love the smell and the Ka-boom of BP on a nice spring afternoon at the range- but don't use them for birds in the Fall (yet)--

I agree, neither Dean or Dave (or hopefully me) said or inferred anything in a negative fashion about this restored PHE 16 on Gun broker-the seller has a fine reputation- BUT I do see the wisdom of the BOD of the PGCA in not allowing us to openly sell Parkers to other members on the Forum- I have seen first hand the "crapfests" that can ensue when someone puts a shotgun, whether a Parker CHE or a LeFever Nitro Special- for sale at a given price on other websites- can often bring out the worst in some folks-- fact of life I guess-

I love Hockey, walleyes, and Labatt's Blue- fished the great Bow River twice back in my fly-fishing days (late 1980's) and can still close my eyes and see that huge river with all the take-out places, my favorite RL Winston 7 wt. with the big hardy St. John reel, a sinking tip shooting head, line screaming as a trophy brown did a Kamakazi on the Wooly Bugger or PMF I had 'spanked the bank" with- the fight, the guide and his net, the foto and then the release- sometimes wish we could do that with the game birds and waterfowl we pursue with equal passion in the Fall-stay well- long time winter it seems
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote