View Single Post
Unread 12-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
We are in a big push to get Sherwood on as many birds as possible this season. He really shows promise and we want him to develop good habits and a love of the game while he is still young.

I tried to upload a picture but it won't come up
Mills,
The guy I hunted with today (Fred) is the guy who first took me hunting 2 years ago with his 2 brittanies. I saw all the work and effort he does with his 2 dogs, they are 8 and 9 years old now. After the heat of the summer goes away, he looks for cool days or mornings and his goal is to keep his dogs in birds every 72 hours all the way through hunting season and on towards the next spring until hot weather hits us again. I have never heard of anyone yet trying for every 72 hours, but I also don't know many bird dog guys Hunting season is easy, because he hunts quite often, he also has a charter fishing business, so he works his clients around his bird dogs when he can. My other friend Hap who had my brittany as a puppy has a couple dozen pigeons, with return flight pens, and he has 2 quail return pens as well. He has one quail pen set up on 9 acres about 1/2 mile from his house. We all buy quail and many times the quail will return to the quail pen and we can reuse them. I think I purchased 10 quail 2 summers ago to help train cash with and I got many many points with those 10 birds. I am even thinking of selling our house and moving to an area where I can set up a similar setting like Hap has. I can't keep my dog in birds as often as Hap and Fred, they are both retired and I still work a lot, but I do the best I can. I wish I would of kept hunting and did not take the 40 years off, but with all the help my wife and I got, our brittany really has turned out well. I wish you all the best with your young dog, it sure is exciting watching them learn their craft.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: