Thread: 1 st parker
View Single Post
Unread 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #21
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was about 9 when I had my first exposer to a Parker. I was allowed to use it because as good as the Winchester 37 .410 did on rabbits I wasn't able to knock down a pheasant cock. So Grandpa let me use "the Parker". My uncle once told me it "wasn't a good one".
I didn't understand then, and still don't feel that way now. To me it was the greatest thing ever. It was a VH 20 with 28" barrels and it was too long for me and I didn't shoot it very well on pheasants. Shortly Grandpa figured out the problem and I was issued a Mdl. 12 16ga. with the butt plate removed. Tail feathers started to accumulate and that helped, but I loved that VH 20, and wanted to shoot a side by side like my Dad. Time passed and that VH went to another very worthy young man. 40 years latter I still hadn't forgot "the Parker", and the best bird dog of my life came to be. I knew I wanted something special for time spent with this dog, and like before it has taken a little trial and error to find the right gun. We are still looking there are several getting tryouts but they are all Parkers.

My uncle did make sure I got to see "a good Parker" and it was all the way across the street and up one house. The high school art teacher owned it. That Parker was a DHE 0 frame 16ga. with ivory mid and front on the 28" barrels.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote