View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
There were many varieties of birds that were hunted without season or limit -- dowitchers, sandpipers, snipe, willets, etc. As an aside, plover on toast was fine dining, indeed. I saw a recipe for greater yellow legs in an old (mid-19th C.) hunting book. In Kansas, meadowlarks were shot, as were robins. In our recent Parker Pages there's an account of eating stew made with redwing blackbirds. Snipe was one of the more common targets until their numbers dropped so much that the season was closed. It's hard to imaging just how much wildlife there was in America, and how inexhaustible it seemed at the time.

I'm really glad to see you take up the banner for those old big bore guns, Milton. Keep up the good work!
The page before Cleveland writing about summer shore birds does show what I think is a sketch of a snipe but he doesnt mention it specifically. Would you happen to know of any books that are about the origins of what or why certain birds are considered game birds? Its something I have wondered about what makes a game bird a game bird and another species a non game bird?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: