Thread: Best 20 G hull
View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #37
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I guess I agree with all of the above. I would still like to see a categorical statement by someone with a relevant degree with respect to pressure and recoil. I'll try to find something. No offense to anyone, but my training is to go to the source for technical information, regardless of the type. All else is hearsay, word of mouth and experiences that may be misleading. I am an IT engineer by training, although my current capacity is director of an IT organization within Verizon. I plan to retire at the end of June.

The Lyman Manual did the primer variance testing to make the point that primers do matter and there should be no deviation from the components listed for each load in the book. Great advice. They took the exact same load and used the different primers to show the difference between them with respect to pressures. My thoughts with respect to the different primer pressures came from this study.

Different powder burn rates probably have an impact on felt recoil. This could be why my loads are so much more comfortable to shoot than the factory loads. My main powders were IMR 4756 and powders with similar characteristics depending on the shot charge I was using. My IMR 4756 is running out so I'll have to get a new manual that has the latest powders in addition to the old that are still available. But I'll still choose the lowest pressure loads.

This has been an interesting conversation.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote