Thread: 36 years....
View Single Post
Unread 10-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #26
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

When I was 11 years old, (1964) I asked my dad if I could earn enough money that summer would he let me buy a shotgun. I knew better than to ask my mom, dad was a little softer in some ways. Dad said yes, mom found out later in the day and said no, I didn't want an argument (dad seemed to lose those more than win and this was important) I asked my Uncle Lewi to intervene and he told my mom that I was only looking at a little 20 gauge, not a full sized man sized 12 gauge. He explained to my mom that a 20 gauge was generally considered a "kids gun" a starter gun etc. I even showed my mom the difference in size in the shotgun shells. She finally relented, I raked leaves, weeded gardens, scraped a lot of lead based paint off of houses. (that explains a lot about my behavior I ended up with a mossberg 20 gauge pump with 6 shots and the safety on top so if I ever had any left handed friends that wanted to shoot it they could. ( I only had one left handed friend) I wore that gun out, finally the barrel mushroomed when I was in my early 20's. My first wife got me a browning o/u 20 gauge, my brothers father in law was a gun dealer, and he got it in on trade. She saved up for months to get it paid off in time for next hunting season.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: