View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

W&C Scott made the actions for many of the other manufacturers. They produced guns under their own name but also supplied actions for Thomas Bland, Westly Richards, Army Navy, Cogswell & Harrison, William & Powell ect. A westly Richards will bring a higher price than an Army Navy all things being equall because of their name. English box locks have come down in cost in recent years. Last year at the U.P. shoot I was considering a nice William & Powell 16ga damascuss gun. I spoke to Hugh Lomas a noted English gun smith who actually had sold the gun and it was he who told me this. The seller did manage to get his desired price but not from me.

I have heard of and seen guns from the following makers on your list. Thomas Bland, Charles Boswell, Greener, Churchill & Charles Hellis. They are all good names and as in everything condition is the deciding factor. There was a Thomas Bland 28 at the U.P. shoot this weekend listed as possibly unfired for $10,500. I believe the action is from W&C Scott.

Charlie I also have a JP Claybough 12ga hammer gun that I recently adopted at a shoot for under $800. I shot my best ever round of 5 stand with it this weekend. JP Claybough was an importer from San Fransisco who purchased English guns made under his name.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post: