Thread: SBT # 181261
View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #19
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;263801]High and low brass does not mean a thing.

It actually does mean something to those of us who have been hunting for more than 50 years or so. High brass shells were those heavy hunting loads manufactured by the various loading companies. A heavy 12 bore load, with the high brass typical of these cartridges, generally were loaded with 1 1/4 oz. of shot and 3 3/4 drams equivalent or, as is currently defined, a load of 1300+ fps. A typical low brass 12 bore load had a shorter brass base and was generally loaded with an ounce or 1 1/8 oz. of shot at 3 drams equivalent or about 1200 fps.

Hence, the term high and low brass accurately defined what one could expect from factory cartridges with respect to the loading. It’s a general term, but is somewhat useful when referring to factory loaded shells. I load all my own shells, but I would imagine that even today, if I bought a box of Remington Express shotshells, I would find that they were loaded in high brass cases. Conversely, if I bought a box of target loads, I’m sure the shells would have low brass.

Higher brass is no longer needed for maximum loads since plastic and stronger cases have eliminated the need to add to the strength of maximum loaded cases. From a marketing perspective, I don’t believe we’ll see the elimination of higher brass on heavy factory loads any time soon.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote