Thread: C Bernard
View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

This is an 1890 catalogue illustration of the building from which was ordered John's lifter hammer gun, serial number 15678, depicted on this thread: the John P. Lovell Arms Co., of Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts.

That year the company was celebrating 50 years in business.

The founding Lovell was originally a gun maker, but with hand-made gun being replaced in the 19th Century by the machine-made product, the firm became a dealer in firearms and equipment for outdoorsmen.

Suggested by my reprint of the 1890 catalogue, the buyer of John’s “C”-grade 12 would have been able to choose from an inventory of shot-guns that included W & C. Scott; W. W. Greener; Bonehill; Colt; L. C. Smith; Ithaca; Harrington and Richardson; Lefever; Remington and from a number of lesser-known and in-house brands, including The Manhattan Three Barreled Gun.

John P. Lovell Arms was then selling to an expanding audience of recreational gunners and shooters, of both sexes, at a time when, according to the Introduction of my 1971 catalogue reprint, “[e]ven the factory worker , however, was afforded some time in the Fall for a small-scale hunting trip”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lovell.boston.1 (1).jpg (495.3 KB, 1 views)