View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Stuffing an ounce of shot through a 28 bore has no advantages, in my opinion, and drawbacks such as inferior patterns and increased recoil. Jack O’Connor used to shoot wild pheasants with his little Spanish 28 loaded with 3”, 1ounce loads. I agreed with most of what Jack had to say (especially about the .270) but could never understand his use of 1ounce loads. The 28 is no wild pheasant gun. I would have liked to see how his little gun patterned with his choice of loads. I doubt he ever patterned it.

On occasion, I used to play with a 28 bore loaded with ¾ ounce of shot on slough ducks in Saskatchewan. You can pick and choose your shots up there and I limited my shooting to 25 yards with no straight away birds. My little Holland did a nice job but the 28 bore is no all-around duck gun. I shot only the full choke barrel.

My regular loads up there consisted of 12 bore shells loaded with 1 ¼ oz at 1200 fps, the old pigeon load. Recoil was mild and patterns were great with 6’s on ducks and 4’s on geese. It was my go to load for years. I now use 1 1/8 oz. of Bismuth in a 12 bore for my duck shooting. No need or advantage to the heavy stuff. Nothing to be gained in my experience.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: