View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Hello Jay-

The Grade 2 didn’t have a skeleton buttplate as a standard feature. That became standard on the Grade 3. The wood on a Grade 2 was also generally as you describe - some better, some not so much.
Further, the position of the lever, by itself, is only a clue as to the kind of care the gun received in its life but other aspects, as Jerry mentions, need to be examined and considered as parts of the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Baskette View Post
Interesting comment on barrel pitting. I had not thought of it that way. My concern before buying was whether there might be a pit or two deep enough to render it unsafe to shoot. Also took note of Brian's comment on top lever position, in regards to Parkers. The wood seems to have a little tiger figure on bottom of stock, but uninspiring on main blank. I am surprised it has the standard Parker butt-plate, instead of a skelletal metal one. The engraving is worn a bit, and not as highly detailed as my DH. This will be the first Damascus barrelled gun I have ever owned and am excited by the refinishing potential to bring back the beauty of the pattern.

Will post pictures as soon as I can figure how to transfer them from phone to this page. I am taking it to G.Pfrommer early next week for evaluation, cleaning and consultation on restoration work.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: