Thread: Ruffs up north
View Single Post
Unread 10-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #52
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,593 Times in 3,086 Posts

Our second, and last, week is winding down and for us this has been a good trip with generally lots of birds flushed and some decent work from our dogs. The weather provided almost everything, but was basically cool enough to be comfortable while walking hard, and damp enough for scenting conditions to be good for the dogs. Throughout the trip we've found what I've concluded are broods from a late hatch, frequently flushing multiple birds from finds. The birds we've killed have been very young ones for the most part. Our best day, this past Tuesday, produced 42 flushes.

This current week has been one of firsts. My first grouse taken over a point by our pup, Aspen, who improved with every outing (but is still very much a puppy). That first bird for Aspen, which he brought to hand, was also the first shot fired from my new-to-me DH 16 (straight/splinter, two triggers -- the way I like them). This gun fits me well and shoots high, made for rising birds. It's about 1 3/4 lbs. heavier than my Dickson 28, but was still a joy to carry. Made in 1904, I can't help but think that it's original purchaser would have been a kindred spirit.

We also were able to meet PGCA member Jeff Christie and his hunting buddy, Darren, both from northern Iowa. Jeff showed me one of his Parkers, a family owned gun originally purchased in a small Iowa town just a stone's throw from where we live now. Quite the treasure for obvious reasons. We enjoyed meeting Jeff and Darren.

Elaine and I have logged over 80 miles so far with three days of our trip remaining. We are tired, but content, as are the dogs (who logged about 3-5 miles for each of ours). I hate to see the trip end, but will look forward to next year with optimism and anticipation. In our family, there's October in Minnesota, and waiting for October in Minnesota.

Photos:
1. What a treat to take Aspen's first pointed bird with the first shot fired with this old Parker. Almost as good as winning the Billion Dollar Lottery...almost.

2. PGCA member Jeff Christie, his hunting buddy Darren, Elaine and I were able to meet for lunch. One of the highlights of my trip.

3. I have a reverence for trees, especially ones like these that, for whatever reason missed getting cut back in the day. We run upon these virgin pines every now and then, and not far from where we stay is the "Lost Forty," a 40 acre patch of virgin pines that, through a clerical error, was never cut. It's a trip back in time to walk among these giants.

4. Yes, sunset photos are a cliche, but for me, every one is different, especially when it comes after a long day with Elaine and the dogs doing something we love so much. (Note: We stopped no traffic in taking this photo from the center of the road...the benefit of being in the middle of the northwoods.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (526.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1119 2.jpg (307.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1120.jpg (444.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: