View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #63
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
I’ve shot the Kent shells for several years with no problems and good results. I only shot one of these Winchester shells and it blew up the barrel. Based on several qualified smiths looking at the barrels I’m fairly certain the shell called caused the problem. I’m yet to hear back if Winchester will do anything about it. The realist in me says maybe some free shells. But I would be pleasantly surprised if the company would share in the repair cost.
Thanks. I believe a fair number of Fox folks shoot those kent shells out of their Fox Supers for waterfowl. I am not aware of anyone shooting the Longbeard ammo out of any Foxes (including me). I just did some searching on Old Gobbler (turkey hunting forum) regarding issues with long beard ammo. There have been a number of issues that have surfaced lately. First, is failure to fire. The second is a bad batch of Longbeards where the resin was too hard and came out much like a slug. Folks who were getting amazing patterns were instead finding cases where there was a slug like hole in their targets where the resin failed to shatter when going through the choke (which is what they are designed to do). Accordingly, there is a possibility that you have a box of ammo that is essentially acting like a slug, and that's what caused your issue.

What I'd recommend is mark every shell you have and then send some of those marked shells to Winchester and keep some for yourself for independent testing and also take a picture of the box and the marked shells together showing the lot number. I'd picture the heck out of everything and tell Winchester what you are doing (in a nice way). FWIW, this issue has been reported to Winchester about the Resin being too hard and not shattering as it was intended to when going through the choke.

Read this thread, it might be helpful: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.ph...c,94113.0.html
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote