View Single Post
Against All Odds
Unread 06-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Against All Odds

Saw this other day from a completely different point of view. Trying not to get political but when John Wayne made his classic "The Alamo" picture he did it for many reasons but one of the main ones is that he wanted to make a point. He was sick and tired of the namby pamby attitudes prevailing in American culture at the time. He thought America stood for something that was worth standing up and fighting for like the great heros before that made our country. As far as politics he was clearly conservative but he respected the people that sometimes he did not even agree with.

For instance Richard Widmark, John Wayne cast him as Jim Bowie even knowing Widmark's opposite political views. They even almost came to fist-a-cuffs a few times when making the movie and Widmark wanted Wayne to release him from his contract but he would not do it because it was too late to reshoot at they were already way over budget, and mostly on Wayne's own dime.

This movie almost financially ruined Wayne because he mortgaged everything he had to make this movie. Here is the final scene. BTW what made me want to post this link is that if you watch it notice how many of the actors and extras are shooting left handed. It is amazing, even John Wayne is shooting left handed. I am guessing about 70% or more of the people in the film are depicted as left handed. I think it is really interestingly strange since even way back then an extremely high percentage of people were right handed. Maybe it was subconscious built in excuse if so many of them weren't shooting offhanded we beat Santa Anna at the Alamo. Seriously this has to be the biggest assembly left handed shooters that I have ever seen depicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLux126OJbY
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote