View Single Post
Unread 11-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #16
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

And another for those interested...........

Fresh mallards came into the Bay last week with all the marshes frozen here.
I just bought a TDB 17 foot this fall. Took her out for a maiden hunt voyage of about 1/4 mile to north of my house. Had the young Pup Ellie with me as she was back from training while my daughter was home for Thanksgiving.

It was a great day for a hunt as winds were 25-30 MPH. Not such a great day to test hunt a new boat. Hence my reluctance to go far. So I set up at the first north point. Build a blind with what I had. Some Burlap and an old piece of canvas (painfully unprepared)... threw out 6 blocks and sat down just hoping to get Ellie her first live duck.

Wasn't 20 minutes and 3 flight birds came from the south on final approach. I let the first one come all the way in and crushed him at 15 feet - then swung for his twin brother and dropped him 20 yards out front. Ellie was out of the boat and into the reeds for the first bird before I could blink. Back she came while I watched the second flounder out front and fumbled for my camera. I sent her for the second but she needed a little coaxing until she saw the movement. Then off to the races for the second. I was beaming proud - My first ducks for the new pup! and a double on drakes to boot!

Finished off my limit within the hour and headed in for a fire and a bourbon. It has been quite a couple weeks for me and my 20 gauge 32".

I have been smiling a lot lately. I will take them as they come. Best time of the year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181121_143458.jpg (513.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20181121_143616.jpg (496.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20181121_144434.jpg (515.0 KB, 3 views)

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post: