View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L. Martin View Post
About 8 years ago while hunting in Michigan's UP I saw what I believe was a Wolf. My friends setter ran over to me with its tail between it's legs and stayed with me for a while.
Same thing happened to my dad in Minnesota with his setter. I think I mentioned here before, but he was working a on an old timber cut area and setter was acting birdie and hunting close. Out of corner of his eye he sees something moving and from about a distance and he sees this animal with a long face and wondered what the heck is that big old goat doing out here and he wondered if he was hunting close to someone's farm. Next thing he looks back and that goat was making a beeline thru the brush for his dog and it got within 5 yards of him and the dog but it was no goat but a big old wolf wanting a setter for lunch.

Wolf was so focused on the dog he never saw my dad standing there, and he raised his gun thinking he was going to have to shoot it but yelled first. The wolf froze looking startled and then the setter looked up saw the wolf standing there and then ran next to my dad. He said it was a pretty tense moment for a good 15 to 20 seconds and nobody moved inch until wolf sized up the scene and then just casually ambled off. Wolfs were/are protected so not to afraid of man too much in the area we hunted, but that is only one we saw.

We also never saw one but on more than one occasion came across some steaming bear scat in draw where we always found some grouse and woodcock. We called it the bear den but never had any run ins the several years we hunted that area.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote