View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,181 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Bill, my loads with the CB-3118 wad stick up into the crimp area - they just fold over with the crimp - I don't trim them. Also, your little home made spacer- all you need is a spacer cut the right shape to fit under the shell hold down plate. That way you can still use it to locate the shells under the drop tube, first and final crimp. I also straighten out the fingers on the shell plate so it fits flat. On the back side of the press table is usually a 1/4/20 hole [ or make one ] . I run a 1/4-20 screw through the spacer and plate into the table to keep everything down . Sometimes the plate wants to lift on the upstroke after the final crimp.
Yeah Paul, I don't think those wad petals being too long is a problem. I have trimmed them but I should follow your method and just crimp the darn things the way they are.

I checked my MEC Sizemaster - no holes to accommodate a hold down screw, or two. May think about making one, probably smaller tho (easier drilling) like a 6 - 32.
OH Osthaus/Rick Losey showed me his MEC Short Kit Plate and I traced it and made a 1/4 inch spacer as you describe. Those tabs in the hold down plate in their original position tilts that spacer plate. Could straighten those tabs out tho to make it sit flat. Definitely worth looking at.

And Kirk, I haven't used fiber wads but wouldn't think they would affect the pressure that much. If they did, wouldn't think it would be much, positive or negative.

Fun stuff.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote