Thread: Nut Boring
View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,617 Times in 3,127 Posts

I don't know if the barrel joining step was furnace done or rosebud torch, but My guess is hand torch. As Dean says, Dave Suponski wrote a good article. He had, at that time, and may still have, an unfinished barrel set completely soldered, and it was a mess of solder. The barrel makers were pretty liberal with the solder, based on what I saw in that set, and doing it in a furnace would have proved more difficult to add additional solder where it might have been needed.
I don't think the regulating process for shotgun tubes is anything like that done on double rifles, but I doubt any adjustments involved additional boring. Since there is very little documentation, I'm really only speculating.
There are a few guys still around who knew Charlie Parker, and my dad knew him because he grew up in Meriden. My dad had many Parkers, since he was a kid, and bird hunting and fondness for shotguns was synonymous with Parker. He had his uncle's Model 97, and a Model 12, but I don't ever recall him hunting with them. It would be great if Charlie had written a book and anticipated all these questions. Larry DelGrego is another who has family connections directly to the company, and I have no doubt he has more 'first hand' knowledge than any of us.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: