Barge Cement
Unread 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
Campchair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barge Cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Is contact cement the same as barge cement?
Barge Cement = Contact Cement.
Actually, Barge Cement is a contact cement, but it’s about 100% stronger than hobby store/ craft supply contact cement. Not sure if Tandy Leather carries it any more, but (as far as I know) the ACE hardware chain lists it in their on-line catalouge. That’s where I get it. Buy 2 small tubes, more will go bad in time. It’s what shoe manufacturers use to permanently (!!!) bond uppers to lowers, soles to bottoms, etc. Follow the directions, which roughly are: Spread a THIN coat on both parts. Let dry ( I allow at least 30 minutes) Align parts EXACTLY where you want them and press together. DO NOT let the leather wrinkle, trap air pockets, or otherwise go where you don’t want it to go. Best technique is to fit everything together before applying cement. When it is ready, turn thinnest piece cement side up and slowly apply the two pieces at one edge. Check alignment as you progress. Work gradually to join the 2 pieces, “ rolling “the piece as you go. Use an leather folder to “burnish” the top (cement free) side as you go. ( The bowl of a metal spoon will serve this purpose well,too.) It’s very important to remember once Barge cemented items are joined, THEY WILL NOT COME APART! Cap tube securely between uses. It is, hands down, the best leather cement there is.
William Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Wood For Your Post: