Thread: OT Dove Hunting
View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,031 Posts

Yeah; like feral hogs, they are expanding their range at an alarming pace. Thus the selected States' no-limit regulations for the upcoming season. We saw some this morning while we were seeding our duck pond on the Eastern Shore with Japanese Millet and Russian Buckwheat. (I didn't quite know how to feel after reading the later thread about fires in Mother Russia and starving Chinese, but I guess I'm OK now. The doves were real easy to spot in the air - picture a slightly larger version of the American mourning dove with a neck ruffle of feathers not unlike the extinct Dodo; sort of like a cross between a formal portrait of Sir Walter Raleigh and the neck roll portion of the headress from the habit worn by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. On the way home we discussed how to redo our dove decoys to attract them in numbers. FInally settled on a ring of woven pipe cleaners around the neck, with a couple of buff-colored "Silly Critter" bracelets coming off the back of the ring. Can't wait for Sept. 1!!!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote