View Single Post
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

My most recent Parker is a 12 bore VH 30 inch bought right here on this forum. It came with a 1919-1920 South Carolina State hunting license that the seller found behind the buttplate. The license cost was $1.50 and was made out to an eleven year old boy, Glenn Augustus Kaminer, in Gadsden, South Carolina (@ 20 miles from my home). The research letter that I recieved from PGCA stated that it was originally ordered by Schoverling, daly & Gales, 302 Broadway, New York on November 21, 1904 and shipped on November 26, 1904 (pretty quick response) According to Parker Order Book No. 64, it was a VH hammerless, 12 gauge. It featured Vulcan Steel barrels with a length of 30 inches. The requested chokes were RH cylinder, LH modified.

The price was $50.00

According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 89, the gun was returned on November 14, 1913 by the Virginia and Carolina Hardware Co., Richmond VA and to be sent to H .Y. Kaminer, Gadsden, South Carolina. The order was to restock and repair action and locks. The price was $12.70.

I went to Gadsden last week after visiting the Congaree National Monument with my daughter's third grade class. I checked with the post office and the elementary school and did not find the Kaminer name, although the principal at the school said that she would continue to check. There is not much left in Gadsden (it was a railroad town with farming all around) I would like to find Mr. Kaminer's son or grandson and show & tell him about the history of the gun whice I think is interesting.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George Lander For Your Post: