View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes sir. Used to bow hunt way before any range finders and became pretty good at estimating distances. Problem with scenario I described is that I had made note of where I thought bird was standing and believed hung up, except due to lay of the land he was standing about 15 yards farther out. Could not see that second little ridge from angle when sitting and we set up in the dark. Size of bird also gave a false of impression it was closer than it was. Also knew that if I could have seen legs and feet then might have pinpointed him better but who knows. Hindsight is 20/20 and would have set up for this bird differently but only had one shot at him.

Anyway, made me sick to misjudge that bird, I'd of let it walk if had known it was farther out than 50 yards and I was on a guest hunt. Definitely did not want to shoot up someones birds on a whim. My buddy and I both thought bird was standing in same place when I shot. 50 yards was limit of what I would try with 3 inch load of #5 lead shot and choke I was hunting with. I like what you observed about the lead shot's performance at long distance as not having much as much impact compared to tungsten. When that old bird shook like a dog it looked like he was doing it to shake shot out of his feathers.

Btw did find out after the season from a guy that did harvest that big old tom. I asked him if there were any noticeable wounds from my encounter and he said not one scratch best he could tell. Bird was not a record breaker but definitely the bird of lifetime for most of us.

Again sure wish I'd know then what I know now about what you have demonstrated with tungsten. Believe it would have made a difference for me in that one scenario, but like you, prefer to get em in closer.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 04-03-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote