View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Just an aside, there's a discussion elsewhere here about ejectors versus extractors, and I smiled reading comments how ejector guns kick out the spent shells and that gents don't want to be searching for them or leaving them in the field. That reminds me of a shooter who was on the squad ahead of us while at the RGS event last Saturday. He was using a 28 gauge over/under with a comb riser gizmo, probably a Browning but I didn't look that closely, and at every pair he would drop the fired gun to his waist and break it sideways letting the hulls kick to the ground. Then after firing the station menu he'd have to bend over and pick up the scattered hulls which looked to be AA's. At first I thought this gent must be a newbie but he was dressed in field-type clothing and being there at the RGS event he was probably a grouse man. The point I'm making is that most gents who shoot enough clays to become good field shots will see others on the courses and learn how easy it is to cradle an ejector gun whether a SxS or an o/u and let the spent shells kick into your cupped hand. And except for clay bird flurries or "volume shooting" we sportsmen usually don't get more than two shot opportunities at a given time and must reload quickly. Otherwise there's no need to eject the shell(s) into the underbrush or water. I'll be one of the first to agree that extractor guns are more reliable but given the choice between extractor or ejector, all other gun factors equal, I'll pay the extra dough for the ejectors any day.

frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: