View Single Post
New Member with Old Questions
Unread 10-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Adrian Avenni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member with Old Questions

Hi, I am a new member living in Maine. I recently joined a sporting clays group, using my 16-gauge Remington Sportsman. As my interest has increased along with the cost of using 16-gauge shells, I am considering using the 12-gauge Parker that was my father’s. The gun was well taken care of and used only for rabbit and pheasant hunting. That has led to questions regarding the Parker.

One pertains to the length of shells it was designed to accept. According to information posted on the Parker website, the gun was made in 1926 (serial number 217040). I am almost certain my father used 2 ¾ inch shells but can’t find any that I packed away. Does anyone know when Parker stopped making guns for the shorter loads? (Looking into the breech of the gun and taking a crude measurement, the chamber appears to be about four inches long.)

The other question for now is the grade of the Parker. Immediately above the serial number are the stamped letters VM. Below the serial number is a V. There is little ornamentation on the gun so I imagine it is not a “high grade” gun. It is a fine specimen nonetheless.

Thanks!
Adrian Aveni
Adrian Avenni is offline   Reply With Quote