View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
I'm not sure when paper shells arrived on the scene, but 12 gauge extruded brass shells used 11 gauge wads and thats about .750. I'm one of crazy ones that play Damascus and Twist Steel roulette. RST Shells make unequaled fodder for older guns. Their 2 1/2" loads of 1oz at a 1125 fps and 7/8oz at 1125 fps are a wonderful place to start. I shoot 10 and 12 gauge 1881 Parkers with Twist barrels with hand loads that keep the pressure at 7,000 psi and below. My 12 gauge Damascus Parkers are fed any 1oz factory load with velocities at 1180 fps and below. That said, Drew has a very valid point and his picture of the Parker who's chamber gave way proves it. Many old guns steel has crystallized and you can almost see it in Drews photo.

Harry
Good to see you kicking around with all your fingers.

A while back I posed a question about steel crystallization in these old guns and our resident metallurgist Edgar talked about it. I think I was refering to maybe fluid steel guns that can have thin barrels, but he put that thought to rest. Obvioulsy the forging process in these twist and damascus is different and there some instances of failures from innerstructure corrosion from years of early abuse and pitting.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: