View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #11
olivermoore
Forum Associate

Member Info

Drew, thank you for your caution. However, as I mentioned in my first post my Parker was sent to Griff8in & Howe for inspection and service as required. It was returned as ok for shooting. The bores, as earlier mentioned, are shiny without pitting or scuffs. The barrels have no imperfections.
I have full confidence in G&H.
You may not be familiar with G&H which was founded in 1923 and is considered one of the most preeminent gunsmiths in America, if not the world. For, instance G&H makes custom sporting rifles from scratch!
Paul Chapman is head gunsmith at Griffin & Howe, leading a team of seven. He is, according to the company historian, the “personification of Griffin & Howe.” Recently he made a series of six guns for the Safari Club anniversary in calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby, the set worth around $350,000. “Today in the high-end market, you’ll see a lot more engraving, a lot more bling,” says Chapman. “The old Purdeys and Holland & Hollands were understated and subtle guns. But since the mid 1950s, you’re seeing more ornate guns with bright finishes instead of case-color hardening.”

The store is still slammed with work—more so now that they are producing a high-tech line of long-distance rifles on Griffin & Howe chassis-style stocks. The rifles are designed with the close involvement of marksmanship instructor Eli Stulmacher, a former Navy SEAL sniper.

“There’s still a clientele for a hand-built gun,” says Chapman, “even though a lot of this generation doesn’t want well-made, hand-me-down furniture. They want new. They want IKEA. But we can work on and repair anything that we’ve sold, and we can fabricate parts like hammers, springs, pins, and screws. That’s what made us famous.”

Oliver
olivermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olivermoore For Your Post: