View Single Post
Unread 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #26
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,587 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Graziano View Post
My father always hunted his dogs with a bell, as do I. I use two different sounding bells for the dogs so I know which is which. I find it invaluable to know where my dogs are when I can’t see them. Also, when the bell goes silent, that usually means there’s a point. I’m sure a GPS collar for $600 would be better. But I’m kind of old school and the bell has never failed me.
Joe, I attend the "Old School" as often as I can, and I think there is nothing like listening to the bell in cover. I did long ago switch to the beeper collar and even still use it with the GPS collars. I've found the GPS collars to not always give me an alert, or to take long enough that the birds will sometimes get up before I get the signal. The GPS collars let you know when the dog stays in one area for a while, so you get point signals when the dog stops to drink, when it stops to pee, when it's contemplating nature...you get the picture. After so many years with the beeper, I can tell if the dog is birdy, if is coming or going, if it's moving slow or fast...and, most importantly, if it's on point (and where). I guess one could call beeper collars "Old School" compared to the new GPS technology. Still, that nostalgia producing tinkle sure beats the sound of a trash truck backing up (but it's a kind of music I've learned to appreciate).

I hope the bells go silent for you a lot this year. Good hunting!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: