View Single Post
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

Finally, using a straight-edge to make sure that the crossbar of the staple is well-below flush with the face of the stockhead:[IMG][/IMG]

This is the first 0-frame I've performed this procedure on. It is more difficult, the placement a little less optimal (more towards the bottom, rather than the center of the stock face) and the diameter of the pin is necessarily a little smaller than on the standard 2-frame 12 ga. repair. In fact, I have a 00-frame stock on my bench right now that actually would give me a little more room and a little better placement and maybe a 5/64 in. pin could be used instead of the 1/16 in. used here. Nevertheless, when this pin is installed in this 0-frame stock, it will be locked-in so tightly (first by an initial proper, tight fit, and second by filling in any remaining voids with Acraglass) that it will take incredible force to ever separate the left and right sides again. I am confident this repair will not be necessary again, unless it meets some disastrous fate.

That's about as far as I got tonight. After this pic was taken, the wires were used to remove the staple again. The receiver will now be coated with release-agent in all contact areas, in preparation for glass bedding to the stock. The next step will be to mix the Acraglass and work a little down into the holes and channel for the staple. Then the staple will get a light coating of Acraglass and driven home for the final time. Then I'll apply more Acraglass to the areas of the stock face that contact the receiver, making sure to apply enough to finish filling up the channel for the crossbar. Finally, the receiver will be quickly assembled to the stock (to full tightness) and the assembly will be allowed to cure for 24 hrs. More pics when I get a chance to get back on it.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Williams; 09-19-2009 at 12:50 AM..
Jim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Williams For Your Post: