Unread 03-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,192 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Thanks Bill.....
Have you ever tried putting more shot in your 3/4 reciepe? like maybe 7/8 Just wondering.
Thanks for the Help
Kirk,

I have not tried anything heavier than 0.72 oz in my 2 1/2" loads. I'm using these loads in a 1900 vintage H&H hammer gun with steel barrels that has the 2 1/2" chambers. The gun is Nitro Proofed for 1 1/8 oz loads according to the proof marks but I'm just sticking with the light loads for that gun.

You could easily go to 7/8 ounce with that wad (neon green Clay Buster CB6100-12). Might have to bump the powder up a tad tho. Should be published recipes for that load. I just haven't tried it.

I have an early A grade 12 gauge Fox that I also use the same basic loads for but use the 2 3/4" Win AA and Remington tapered wall hulls and the appropriate CB0175-12 wads. Same Circle Fly wads in the bottom of the shot cup to take up space.

And for your 12 gauge Sterlingworth, 2 3/4" shells are fine for that gun. No need to go to 2 1/2". And as you mention, you like them "light".

I have not used fiber wads but as you found out, those loads would tend to open up more than shot cups.

As an aside, I load some 12 gauge loads using un-popped pop corn kernals for shooting red squirrels in the barn. Don't have to worry about shooting holes in the roof. And they actually work good for skeet station 8 shots. I use 12 grains of that Alliant Extra Light powder, cut the bottom of a CB 0175-12 wad to use over the powder and the rest pop corn. Can get 0.3 ounces of pop corn in that load. I've patterned them in the snow, and as you point out, opens up the pattern. But fine for anything less than about 20 - 25 feet.

Speaking of Alliant Extra Light powder, it's been kind of hard to find but is a great light 12 gauge light load powder. IMR 700X is good too for slightly heavier loads: 0.6 and 0.72 ounce loads.

Hope some of this helps.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote