Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Tony Ambrose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member

New member here.....although far from new to Parkers, as well as other classic American doubles. I'm not sure if I classify myself as a collector....probably more of a grouse hunter who happens to be the caretaker of some nice old shotguns!

I currently live in Westchester County NY, just outside of NYC. Originally from PA, having grown up in the heady times of plenty of grouse and genuine wild pheasants. My youthful introduction to doubles came way of a little B grade Fox 20, back when my father was a diehard pump fan. He never could understand my fascination with those old guns!

I think it was in the early 80s when I bought my first Parker. DHE 12 with 28" barrels and great wood. A fine tool that certainly did a number on pheasants, but probably a bit unwieldy on grouse. Still, the Parker was a sweet piece that sparked some of that gun lust that I'm sure many of you acutely suffer from. Being a grouse and woodcock hunter of the slightly insane type; after a couple more Parker, Fox and Smith aquisitions, I decided to focus on guns that I thought were best suited to my favored pursuit. Straight grips and small gauges became my targets. In those days of pre-internet, it was pretty challenging.

I have been lucky enough to be the caretaker of some very nice little guns over the years. Several skeet guns, quite a few 20s and 28s and a couple .410 guns and grades up to BHE. Higher grades seemed to present themselves at times when the needed amount of disposable income just wasn't available (best excuse I can come up with!).

I think back and it seems that the times that I've sold guns has usually followed the loss of a dog. That resulted in eventually mourning the "loss" of a nice gun...as well as the dog!

Two Parkers in particular are probably missed the most.....not because of their condition or configuration, but for the memories in the coverts of NH and ME over some grand old setters. Both of these guns were sold around 90/91 to the folks at New England Arms in Kittery Point, ME. One was a sweet little cased VHE 28, 26", straight grip/splinter with feather crotch and orange/red fire in the stock to die for and a little CHE 20, 26", straight grip/splinter/SKBP with great dark streaked light toned wood (that I always associated with the best English walnut, although I've seen only a couple of Parkers with similar toned wood). Sorry I don't have the serial numbers at hand, but I'm sure anyone buying one of these guns from NEA in the 90s would remember. It would do my heart good to know that another member (or members) is the current caretaker of these two fine Parkers and that they are continuing to be used as they were previously used. There is always the possbility that I can find the serial numbers somewhere, and I know that many photos were taken, but, as with other things, the end of a marriage seems to make things disappear.

I've never owned a reproduction, although I've had many of them in hand and, as with most fine guns, I've lusted after a few of those that had some sweet wood attached!

As I approach 60, the number of guns in the house has been drastically reduced. I'm getting to the point where weight, fit and looks seem to be the keys to whether or not they stay or go! While there are a couple little Fox and Parker 20s that still get exercised, the one gun that has received the most use in the last 10 years is one that I took as partial trade on a VH 20 many years ago at a gun show......now don't shoot me for this!.......a Japanese-built Browning BSS Grade II 20. It has really great claro walnut, although the wood-to-metal fit is certainly not the best. BUT...it absolutely brings to earth most birds that flush in front of it. I wouldn't call it a classic, but I think it will stay with me.

I certainly have enjoyed reading many of the threads here. It's good to know many more fine Parkers still get to roam the grouse woods of the north. I'm sure I've run into some of you over the years at shows. I remember faces very well, but as I get older, names do seem to evade me....what do they call that...CRS?
Tony Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Ambrose For Your Post: