View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

My neighbor makes excellent pickled pike with fish from this same lake. We fish together there in April. We use frozen herring from Sportsmans Warehouse for bait. I drill two 10" holes, one with a tipup and on the other I use a vintage Garcia Ambassador 5000 casting reel on a stout little ice fishing rod, which works v well for these big pike. Quite sporty actually when they make a long powerful run and the drag is singing away - definitely a Hemingway moment. On a good day I land on the lake and am firing up an hour later to head home with my limit of 5 fish, filleted and skinned and in ziplocs in a cooler. The ravens love the scraps. On one particularly good day last spring I had a fish flopping in the snow, one on the skinning board and one running off with my bait all at once. That was a short day on the ice. No need for two holes on a day like that. On a bad day I can sit there freezing in the wind for 8 hrs and not catch anything, which only happens if it's late and the spawning is over. Sometimes we have a real fishing party with 3-4 planes on this lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg East Twin 4-16-11 mail.jpg (241.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing party E Twin 4-4-10 mail.jpg (132.6 KB, 2 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: