View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have all the old tools for reloading by hand - they're nice to have and use once in a while but it's normally my Mec 600. I know a lot of guys won't do it but I use the Mec for everything if fold crimping and if roll crimping pull the shell out after the OS wad is put in place in put it in the drill press. My Mecs have the steel drop tubes - I don't see where there would be a problem with sparks. Been doing it for over 10 years. A #46 bushing will drop about 74 grs - one cut in half will drop 84grs - and no bushing will drop 94grs. I have one old Mec set up just for BP in 12ga. Another for 10ga gets either nitro or smoke. If roll crimping those stamps from BP's are nice. I bought a ink pad from Wal-Mart that has both red and black pads. If loading smoke the black pad is used, and if it's nitro the red pad. This way I always know what's in the shell. Frank, you could also use a hump-back. Mr. Browning designed them to use BP or nitro. Was shooting at the club yesterday and had my 1882 Remington SxS 10ga. Had 10 extra 10s loaded with smoke, so I shot them first, then switched to Gaugemates and nitro 12s. Damn near had a clean barrel after 40 more shots. Friday I'll use my Parker lifter 10ga. The other guys always get a kick out of letting them try a shot or two with smoke - especially when trying to hit the second target through smoke. I'm real lucky living only 4 miles from the club, running the shotgun venue, and shooting 3 times a week. I can set any kind of targets I want, as long as there's not too much complaining. My wife shoots also so there's never any whining about guns or the cost of shooting. Life don't get no better.