View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

I've had black powder in my blood since age 10 when I started making homemade muzzleloaders and my own powder not only for them but also for amateur rocketry. I bought pound after pound of saltpeter at a store in town where it was sold for curing meat. 75 cents a pound back in the day. Nowadays I'll load black powder in 3 to 4X fired Federal paper cases with a regular 6 point folded crimp, and discard the cases afterwards. Load is 2-1/2 drams 2F du Pont. I still have few cans of the old stuff. Any primer will do and I load on an old Texan single stage press. I remove the cases between the 2nd and 3rd station, dump the powder with a dipper, then replace on station 3 and load one .135" nitro card and two 3/8" Alcan Bluestreak wads. Texan has a metal wad guide (unlike modern MEC's) and the press shows about 60 pounds pressure. Shot load is 1-ounce. I always have a few loaded BP shells with me when on a sporting course and will shoot them at targets where the scorer can see the clay beyond the smoke cloud. That's with a Fox, Parker, Ithaca or a Perazzi. Anything but a gas gun. The loud reports usually bring onlookers who often caution that I'm loading way too heavy, gun will blow up, etc. I also use them once in a while for small game hunting, rabbits ahead of the beagles - a blast from the past and the smoke and brimstone smell always reminds me of sadly missed friends and the much different times when we were kids.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: