View Single Post
Unread 02-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,178 Times in 632 Posts

Thanks Andrew that helps. Just for clarification it sounds like you are using fiber wads not felt wads. I have shot the exact same combination of components in the brass magtechs and it works okay.

The first thing I would do is cut those 1/2" fiber wads in half, but use both, one on top of the other. Those 1/2" wads are relatively heavy and push through the pattern. When you split them in two they break away faster.

I have been using lubed wads in brass shells, though I am not sure if circle fly is making them anymore. The only difference is(like Matt) I always put a overshot card on top of the wad so shot doesn't stick to the wad. I never use the lubed wads in the paper shells.
I think if you split the wad in two like I described above you paper shells should perform better.

When I am not using a square load and trying to get more velocity I do use felt wads. I use 2 - 1/4" wads and I will lube one of the wads for brass shells. You can buy them for 12 gauge or cut you own depend on what you need. They have some more give and may be something you want to try at some point. For 90% of my shooting I am using square loads by the way and I am stilling learning too.

There are lots of opinions on all of this and the best thing to do is try a few component changes and see what the result is. In my opinion, shooting a hammer gun with the type of shells it would have used when new is just too cool and very rewarding.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: