Thread: Type of Solder?
View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, That's hot. At my age I don't go outside anywhere near that temp. You comment on on the bbls. I think of my health. Seriously, I have had two doctors tell me what the situation was and end the talk with "I can't do anything to help you". Some things, like your heart, when damaged can't be fixed. Take care of yourself.
Eric, I know the 44 does take more heat than regular 60/40, I think about 100 degrees, per my prev note, I use the TIX on the rib, have done several lugs with the 44, and a tight spot shows up in the bbl. ( hone and lap out ). My point was for strength the 44 would certainly be superior to the TIX and I used it in the past, but did lap the bbls. afterward. Mostly the 44 is useful to me putting sights on rifles. Have a friend who still hunts Africa and once in a while we build up another big caliber with open sights. Screw and solder them on. Slugging a rifle bore I have not found the bore to get tight at the heated area, of course the wall thickness of the bbl. is a lot more than shotgun bbls.
Regards, JH
John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hancock For Your Post: