View Single Post
Unread 10-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #42
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
I have made no formal resolutions on what guns to use in wet weather, or to take into the mishap-prone “grouse woods”. Circumstances do change.

But as for now, I do not feel comfortable using very far from the shooting range two of the higher-condition Parker guns of the four I inherited. The two in “shooter”- grade and condition, being #2-framed and long-barreled, are so not ideal for the hunting I have been doing.

Thus, I bought two restored guns for where I regularly go afield. They have already been professionally dealt with; and if need-be, I can have it done again.

This keeps the hallowed legacy guns of higher grade or condition out of harm’s way. I just feel better about it, given the tiny sphere I occupy in the Parker universe, even though I can imagine my father saying, “go ahead; hunt with them” (he certainly did).

Here is a photo of one of the two I bought: a GH 12; with 28-inch barrels honed and re-blacked and the stock refinished; on a 1 ˝-frame. Respectable and shootable.
Russell, You are the caretaker and owner in your "sphere" as you so aptly put it. I feel sure that the next caretakers will value how you treated all of your guns. Bringing one back is just as noteworthy as keeping one as is.

Cherished and used...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: