View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
Ive read the same about using low pressure 12 gauge data for the 10 but I never could wrap my head around that id be using a different wad and not sure how that would change things. I plan on using Remington hulls from PR. Not sure what primer they have in them (57 or STS). So you're saying I could find a low pressure 1 1/8 oz 12 ga load and use the poder and charge weight that load calls for and stuff it in a 10 gauge hull with a sp10 wad? What about filler? I know BPIs stuff is pricey but their 10 ga wads are cheaper than the sp10 by about $7! Also, alliants green dot data is intriguing as it is for a 3.5" hull and 1 1/4 oz of shot. Although it uses (6) 0.135" cards to bring the column up and its 1/8 oz more of shot than I want. That way I would save a step by trimming the hulls.
Ryan, are you shooting a gun chambered for 3.5" shells? If not trim the hull especially if lower pressure is a concern. Hulls using 57 size primers were unique to Remington and have not been made for close to 40 years or so.

The SP10 is a good wad for lead in a 10ga, I have not used the BPI wad but heard it was similar. I have shot some old Versalite wads but they produced far too many squib loads so my guess is they are not providing a tight seal. The SP10 works well with every hull I have tried.

Even if you are shooting a 3.5" chamber gun, 2 7/8" shells with light loads will work just fine. With regards to that Green Dot load, use a 2 7/8" hull and you will need less than 2 .135 cards, not 6 the 3.5 calls for. I also recommend backing the powder charge off to 27 grains of Green Dot with that 1 1/4 ounce of shot.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote