Thread: 28 gauge slugs
View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am sure there have been lots of success using a 20 gauge slug. Mind justifies the heart though and when I shot that deer it was with a 20 gauge Ithaca pump. There was something not right with that modified choked barrel. It always patterned about a foot low and to the right with 8 shot and gave up on it for use as a bird gun. Thought okay will use it for deer it dang gun with slugs would hit dead center one foot high at 50 yards, baffling. It was pretty easy all you had to do at 50 yards and in was put the bead underneath deers chest and it would put a 3 shot group near bullseye at 30 yards. First time deer hunting with it and I knew I had hit that deer solid . Was pretty disgusted with that gun at that point and went traded it off the next day, so that was only experience with a 20 gauge slug. I think I still have a box of slugs that are 40 years old somewhere.

BTW Tom agree with you shot placement. That is why I was so perplexed with that 180 grain .30-06 shot at 15 yards. I was 20 feet up in the tree aiming down on a quartering away shot. On inspection I hit exactly were I aimed and it made a mess of the heart and lungs. I guess that load banging so close got her so adrenalized. Somehow it missed both shoulders. I have shot a few deer that were well hit and run 50 yards but never one like that and on flat ground. BTw the only rifle I have now is 270 WSM Browning A bolt. With a 130 grain bullet at 200 yards its like shooting a laser. There are guys that regularly take deer out West at 500+ yards. I have taken a few deer with it tight cover at 100 yards where all I had was window for a chest shot about pie plate wide. I don't take head shots.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-11-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote