View Single Post
Unread 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #26
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Precourt View Post
I have not done much waterfowl hunting, but have been lead to believe that you need to use #2 shot when duckhunting. I have a recently restored 1914 VH grade Parker with fluid steel 12 bore barrels (30”) and I am looking at using with either Kent matrix 2 3/4” or Rio Bismuth also 2 3/4”, (RDT doesn’t appear to sell duck loads anymore) but l don’t seem be able to find anything larger than #4 shot? Also, the velocities are pretty high for an old gun, over 1,300. If I’m mostly going for mallards, what would you recommend I use at a relatively high altitude (Great Salt Lake)?
Thanks for your advice.
-Doug
I have hunted ducks extensively in Saskatchewan and New York so my opinions are not without merit or consideration. In my opinion, #2 is all wrong for ducks. I have killed tons of ducks with #6's and am perfectly satisfied with their performance even on the larger mallards. Some use 5's and 4's and that's fine but I would not use either in other than a 12 bore or 10 bore. I have patterned my goose guns years ago with #2's. None of my guns patterned worth a damn with the 2's. The 10 bores were not good but serviceable but the 12 bore patterns left a lot to be desired. The smaller #3 patterned great with the 10 bores and very good with the 12 bores. I used #3's on geese till the shot was no longer available for reloading. I then went to #4 for geese and never had a problem with them.

My recommendation would be to stick with #6's for ducks with your VH. You will have the pattern density and retained energy necessary out to a full 40 yard or a bit further.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: