View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

The fairly slow 1 1/4 ounce loads are good for anything from long yardage trap, high doves, flyers, pheasants, preserve mallards, you name it. I have loaded the same load in different shot sizes for forty years. AA empties, Winchester Red wads, Herco enough for about 1200 fps or just a tad more for flyers. Before we went to no-tox, I loaded a carload of these things in soft #4 and I'm still sitting on a few. About four or five years ago, I loaded another carload of them in hard 7 1/2 for flyers. My calculations say that, at $8.00 a pigeon, I have my whole 401K taken care of in these shells. I have not spent any time at the pattern board with the 7 1/2 loads, but the #4s were patterned in a long barrel Fox at 50 and 60 yards and the patterns tell me that the duck should be a bit farther out to avoid meat damage. I have shot passing preserve mallards with this load at ranges that surprised even me and the ducks just keep coming down. I think that's legal. For gosh sakes, they were raised in cages.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote