Thread: Shotgun stalk?
View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

King Cobb,

I'm not familiar with the book in question...is this a very academic, historical book published in England, in VERY formal prose?

If so, then the answer to your question is..."possibly." I can't say I have ever heard "stock" and "stalk" used interchangably. But the Oxford dictionary does include this little tidbit along side the standard definition of "stalk" that we'd all expect:

Origin - Middle English: probably a diminutive of dialect stale ‘rung of a ladder, long handle.

That last bit suggests the term might have been used in centuries past. But again, I've never heard it done. The question is, why in a book written in modern prose would anyone use it, even if technically OK in a language sense?

It would be just plain goofy if it simply got past editing, but I guess weirder things have happened. Certainly it's harder to catch inadvertent use of another proper word, than it is to catch a typo.

Beyond this, I can tell you blue collar Red Sox fans would say both words with zero distinction. They speak of gun stawks, corn stawks, and tech stawks on the stawk exchange.

- Nudge

Last edited by Nick de Guerre; 08-29-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote