View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes 1oz is light for a 10ga and in the 12ga I use a 3/4oz load. It doesn't take much to break a clay pigeon. With the International games around a 7/8oz load is all that's allowed. You never did say what you were reloading for - hunting or clays. Sherman Bell wrote some articles in DGJ a number of years ago where he was given 20 SxS Damascus wall hangers and was told to try and blow them up. None would let go with Remington proof loads - 18,500psi. He then took a Parker and got up to around 30,000psi before it blew. Will all Damascus guns take this abuse. I wouldn't think so, but it just shows Damascus guns aren't as dangerous like some would have you believe, He also did test with 2 3/4" shells in a gun with 2 1/2" chambers. If I remember correctly the pressure went up about 500psi. Each of us have to decide what's safe and what isn't for barrels and pressures. I myself usually keep my reloads at or under 8000psi and many guys like the 7500psi figure. One other thing to consider is barrel wall thickness. Most of us shoot American made guns - Parkers - and they were usually made with thicker barrels than our English cousins. You might want .100 to .120 around the breech end and at least .030 at the muzzles. The English accept somewhere around .020 - .025 at the muzzle. It passes proof house, but it is a bit thin. You can go here to get reloading data or call and request one of their free manuals. I find them much more useful than going online.
www.hodgdon.com or www.alliantpowder.com