Unread 02-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,474 Times in 3,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Garry, a great write. Thanks.

We put up a lot of birds , about a covey every 30 minutes. I’m sorry you did not find more. Those that we found were very tough and fast targets. I would not doubt they were at 40 to 50 yards in 2 seconds and they jinked also. Last time I am convinced that one purposefully jinked away from an incoming shot just like they avoid a diving falcon.

I think the quail you showed is just a late hatch male bobwhite .I don’t think it’s one of those southern red quail.
Bruce,

I'm sure you were in an area with more birds than where we hunt in northeastern OK (and, for the first time, SE OK). But, it sure looks like we had similar weather. We quit hunting the Beaver area because our dogs just don't like boots, and the sand burrs were too much for them. Have you ever hunted the Tall Timbers area of OK? It'a all slash and burn loblolly pine plantations, but there are quail in the areas that have been harvested. You are probably correct about the coloration of the quail, but we have found slight variances in color based on location in our travels. The birds we shot in southern OK were markedly smaller than our North Missouri quail. Growing up in Virginia, I was amazed at how much larger on average our Iowa and Missouri quail are than the ones we took in Virginia, but, hey, that was many years ago and we all know what memory does to facts.

I guess we are all waiting for turkey season. Our weather has been so bad here in North Missouri and Southern Iowa that I'm sure we'll lose breeding stock for our quail. I just hope Spring is really Spring. The birds deserve it.

I'm sorry we'll be in SC during the Pheasant Fest. I hope to be able to help you man the Parker table at one of these events in the future.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote