Thread: solid ribs?
View Single Post
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

A 220 is a hammerless gun, but of low quality. Dale, just this week I saw a nice sidelock Webley and Scott single in very good condition on the internet. I didn't pay much attention because I am waiting for a Fox single to appear on my doorstep. I recently got the Francotte back from Dewey Vicknair. It was found to have no safety mechanism inside, so it was reassembled without a safety but with a new Griffin and Howe Silvers repro pad. Bob Beach and I have determined that it is a Model 11, the lowest grade of Francotte available in 1914, its year of manufacture. I had not weighed it before today when I found that it weighs 6 pounds, 14 ounces with its solid rib 32" barrel. It seems to be in about 95% high original condition with nearly all the color and blue. It is unengraved except for the nine visible screws and the top of the extension rib. As I probably said in an earlier post, I have not seen such a Francotte before but the V L & A records show that some Francotte singles were sold in this country, but we're not sure about the Model 11.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote