Thread: Best 20 G hull
View Single Post
Unread 05-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Craig, years ago I loaded a ton of Gun Clubs and then they began to vary in overall length which caused erratic crimps so I switched to STSs. When first loading the STS I encountered the problem you describe. The solution was to adjust the press. I increased the crimp starter a wee bit, adjusted the crimp die to put less pressure on the outside but a bit more on the center punch, and slightly increased the finishing die. Problem solved and I have shot these shells in 7 different 20's with no discernable difference in any of them.

As an aside, last year I loaded some new gun clubs with 3/4 oz loads so I could easily tell them apart from 7/8 oz loads. The plastic on the newer gun clubs was so stiff that the press handle pressure was so excessive I gave up after a few hundred rounds. Then I tried the Field/Clay hulls and found them to be nearly identical to the STS in crimp quality, longevity, and interior volume. I've loaded quite a few 3/4 oz loads with the CB1075-20 wad and they work beautifully. No press adjustments required.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote